Friday, February 26, 2010

Spare change and the economy...

I tend to look down and REALLY watch where I walk after having taken a few bad falls (and usually on my back or butt)... Having little ones around the house does cause you to do the 'Chi shuffle' as we call it (small steps and careful ones so you don't accidentally step on a small one!)... I am almost phobic about slipping on something wet, but still have managed to fall twice going into grocery stores on rainy days...

With this peculiar habit of mine, I have noticed something since different since the economy tanked - I don't find as much change as I used to!... Probably because everyone is so careful about every penny they have, every nickel and dime is important...

Seriously, at least once or twice a week on my travels, I'd find some change someone has dropped because I tend to watch where I put my feet to avoid falling... I've found $20 bills as well... I guess this is a good thing because people are being more careful about not losing their money so easily, but I just thought it was odd the tanking economy has had such a 'trickle-down' effect that I happened to notice...

There is a guy in my city that collects found change - here's his blog - he uses found money to benefit kids in tennis... I throw mine into a donation jar for the rescue...

I have often wondered while watching the History Channel how these odd artifacts and coins have been found as ancient sites are excavated... Ancient peoples probably are no different than today's generation... Lost change ends up somewhere, whether it was 2,000 years ago or just yesterday!

=======================

Speaking of change, we've started a fundraiser for the dog rescue... After a LOT of experimenting until we finally figured out the perfect way to knit a sweater that fits a Chihuahua with their odd configuration, another volunteer and I have started knitting these sweaters... We call them "Chi-Weaters" and there's a website up now with the ones we have finished HERE... They are one-of-a-kind and because they're handmade, we'll never make a gazillon of them... But when I sit down to watch TV, I always have a set of knitting needles in my hands!

=======================

I began to dig into the 'Black Hole of Calcutta' this past week - otherwise known as Paul's office... It is the last room in this house to be remodeled (a project we started almost five years, 3 surgeries and numerous illnesses ago)... The ceiling still has that popcorn junk on it, and underneath the carpet there is tile from when the house was built 40+ years ago...

Paul wants a new computer after having killed another one, but it made no sense to do that without redoing the room...

Progress is slow because I can only take so much of that up and down on the ladder before I call 'uncle'... It is a small room with a LOT of stuff in it also, so you work a little, move crap, work a little more, move more crap, etc...

As I shift through stuff, I have found three previous organization attempts where I left a box and a note that says, "You need to sort through this"... I am vowing this will be my LAST time to ever do this again... Paul is a pile-er-oner... He makes these piles from printer stuff, incoming mail, etc. and then never goes through them so the stuff eventually gets lost...

While my computer desk tends to get piles growing on it too, I tend to get into a frenzy and push through a pile because I can't stand looking at it any more... LOL... Of course, it is his office or 'man-cave' as Desiree calls it, so this is my last time at attempting to clean it up and after this, he is on his own!

The half of the room that has been repainted and finished except for the floors looks pretty remarkable, but this has been a much slower process than I anticipated... I'm getting too old to do this kind of manual labor!... (smile)... For the past few days when I've climbed out of bed, I've felt about 102 instead of 52... Every bone and joint is creaking... I will be VERY glad when I have it all finished, but at the rate I am going, it will take another week at least... The older I get, the slower I seem to move!... So much for the 'golden years'... They lie to us!

As Always,
The Lady

No comments: