Friday, February 12, 2010

Most of my days are spent in:

1) GOTTA get this done today
2) This SHOULD be done today
3) I hope to get this done today
4) Maybe?
5) Next week

LOL... And despite my best efforts at staying on task and on track, my days are interrupted a gazillion times with this and that... At least 5 times a day, I must stand somewhere and think to myself, "Now, what was I in the middle of before I got interrupted??".... LOL...

Some days, the ONLY way to get things done and off my list is to simply continue to plow on through regardless of what comes up and attempts to interrupt me... Let's face it - what I do every day is really not THAT important in the grand scheme of things... I'm not preventing world hunger, stopping any wars, doing anything of great global value!

But one thing is for sure - if I don't get it done, it simply won't get done at all~!!!

Annoying...

I couldn't begin to list all the different mindsets I've read regarding staying on track and on task... Everyone seems to have their own philosophies about how to stay organized... I really don't know how most people do it, but I can say that those women who have immaculate houses usually have a maid out here in Southern California!

For the past few months, I have watched a stack of stuff grow regarding the dog rescue... Stuff that was important to take care of, get filed away, resolve one way or another (if only an idea or project)... Like bunnies, that stack multiplied until it became too high and then birthed another stack aside of it... I always kept ahead of the 'gotta do's' but everything else was hit or miss... Depending on my day, it might get done - or it might not...

And to be honest? There were times when I decided to play with the dogs or sit and watch them was more important than following up on some piece of paper or issue... You probably know the kind of stuff I'm talking about - nothing too important, just a nagger that eventually needed to get done...

After the filing cabinet got set up and I'd moved the files into it that I already had, I looked miserably at that dual stack of crap that needed resolution one way or another... No better time than the present (who makes up these stupid sayings??)... So I dug into the stack and worked on it until Paul came in from work...

QUITTING TIME (yep, his arrival is good for something! )...

Yesterday morning I got up and was bound and determined to finish that project come heck or high water... Lunch for the pups got pushed back - you name it - it happened...

And right around noon time, I reached for the last piece of paper and resolved it... During these two days, I carted three trash cans out to recycling and emptied the shredder five times (I do have a tiny shredder though)...

As anal-retentive as I am, I had measured the original stacks (37") and there is a pile of about an inch that I just couldn't resolve, file away or throw away... But the other yard of paperwork is gone now... So much crap and paperwork comes into our homes every day - it is sad how many trees we are killing over useless junk... I even have a form letter that I fax to companies, telling them to remove us from their mailing list because we are 'file 13'ing' their mailings... Oddly enough, not all take the time to do anything about the notification, but at least I know I try in my own small way...

And speaking about crap and junk, is anyone else getting those phone calls that start out, "Hi, this is Janey and President Obama...." or the ones about refinancing your house because of Obama's legislation?... I must get at least 2 or 3 of those a day... They are SO annoying... I run for the phone to get an automated telemarketing message...

You take MY time (and I'm usually in the middle of something) and then you don't even put a real person on the phone to speak to me?... Now I am downright rude and offensive when the message starts playing... I noticed yesterday when I said the word "damned" during my retort, it immediately disconnected... This is a first...

I've done it all - listed us with the 'do not call' telemarketing systems, waited until the end and left a message, asking them to remove us from their list, etc... I hope to never meet this person 'Janey' because I will recognize the voice and give her a piece of mind, for sure!... LOL...

These arrived yesterday from Paul... 1-2-3 - "AHHHHH"... Turn about was fair play - Desiree and I sent him a Vermont Teddy bear to the office so this dozen of red roses is now gracing our counter... I don't really like red roses, but it is Paul's favorite and that is really what matters... The good feelings you get inside doing something great for someone else you love...

You can't buy those feelings with no amount of money... At least IMHO... I love doing things for others - much more than people buying things for me... And if they go out of their way to do something (as opposed to just signing a check and buying something they gave no thought to), it is even more special... I have ALWAYS loved those gift coupon/certificate thingies... "Good for one free wash of your truck"... "Good for picking up the kitchen counter for one month", etc... Those things are SO cool to me... Unfortunately, I probably sit in the minority on this issue...

My family says I am too tough to buy for when a holiday comes up... Probably so... There is not too many things I can say I want, even if I sit hard and think about it... And the things I want the most (a back that doesn't hurt, spotless floors, etc.) are not things readily anyone can give me...

But it is nice to be remembered... Paul's the Hallmark guy around here... He can spend hours in one of those stores and he always seems to find a card that fits appropriately enough... I go into a Hallmark store and find cards that read "Your feet are too big and stink," "I love you more than the sun and moon combined" (huh??), "You are the best wife I have ever had" (easy to do when there are only three in a lifetime), etc... Cards just never say what I'd like them to say and I'm not clever enough to make them up with a DIY kit either!... So I leave the Hallmark shopping to the pro here and Paul has never disappointed...

Well, I am off to today's project - getting the bill paying system up, running and current after taking it over from Paul, who has done it for many years now... I'm not so sure he believes he got the better deal with exchanging the flats laundry for all of this paperwork, but until he decides to come up with a better solution to the chaos, we're staying "on task" here...

Have a great weekend and pass it onto someone else... Adoptions for us tomorrow and that is ALWAYS a long, tiring day... But a 'nice tired' especially when dogs and puppies find their furever homes!

As Always,
The Lady







No comments: