Wednesday, February 10, 2010

So much for best intentions, huh?

So much for my very best intentions, huh?... LOL...

I have spent most of the new year compiling and doing our taxes (for two years)... With starting up the new dog rescue this year, I simply didn't have enough hours in the day to get it all done, so filed for extensions... One of my personal New Year's Resolutions was to get all of the taxes up to date and filed before my birthday, so I made it with over a week to spare!... HURRAH for me!...

There IS a point in making those resolutions, despite those who scoff at the practice!

And as a family, we're in economy mode... Paul and I have struck a new 'deal' - I'll handle doing the bills for him (easier for me to do the taxes each year) and he does the 'flats' laundry for me... I'm not so sure he was aware of how much laundry I do on a daily basis between the doggie blankees, the sheets, etc. but he's learned very quickly that part of my normal routine is a LOT of laundry~!!!... LOL...

Desiree has taken on a few projects in our economy mode kick - price comparing our auto insurance, figuring out why our phone bills have gone through the roof, getting our county taxes reaccessed, etc... This is also a good learning experience for her at the same time... It is easy to get those 'dancing feet' about being on your own and moving out of the house when you are her age, but when actually faced with how much it costs to simply survive in today's tanked economy, she's much more aware (now) of what it costs to keep a roof over our head and food on the table...

For all of the advertising being done about car insurance, we haven't found GEICO to be losing the battle - we sure didn't save 'hundreds of dollars' switching from GEICO to State Farm, despite all of the commercials that portray you will... Desiree learned about this as she went along, and as insurance companies consistently did not quote what we already have with GEICO, she kept needing to go back and ask again for 'apples to apples' quotes...

Again, another learning experience... If nothing else, it will teach her to not accept much at face value, but to gather her research, do her analysis and then make an educated decision based upon it all...

At 20 (turning 21 in July), Desiree might have led a fairly sheltered life in many respects, but she's had a sound education in most of the important things in life... Responsibility, commitment, determined strengths, compassion, etc... Cleaning up her room is never going to be her strong suit, but when she gets her own place, I expect that too will change for the better!!!... LOL...

Speaking of change, part of doing the bills is going through all the mail that comes into the house... And I'm ashamed at how many trees we kill to print junk crap on it, then stuff into someone's mail box... I consistently call (or fax) back to people, telling them to remove us from their mailing lists... Especially all the catalogs - that is expensive stuff to produce and send, so you would think those in charge of these companies would have someone more qualified and dedicated taking care of their mailings!

In the past few years, we have cut back on a lot of things - one being our magazine reading... As much as I hate reading any news on the Internet, I have finally taught myself to break the habit of buying magazines at the grocery store... The only magazines we still get here at the house now are the dog magazines... And as part of doing the bills, I pulled out my handy dandy file yesterday on magazine subscriptions...

I loved the renewal notice I got from "Dog World"... It goes on about my being a loyal reader and to not let my subscription lapse... Until I got to the part about the price, then read it had increased 150% in less than a year... NO THANKS~!!!... I don't like the magazine that much... Last year I paid $12 and got a special edition on rare breeds - this year it is $20 and a 'thank-you' for being a loyal reader...

While most people would have simply read it, decided and thrown it in the trash, I'm not most people... I took the time to write a small note about why I am not renewing (the 150% mark-up for loyal readers), and justice???...

I put it in the renewal prepaid postage envelope and sent it back to them!!!

As Always,
The Lady

No comments: