Saturday, February 20, 2010

Just some ramblins for today...

A friend from Vegas sent me this yesterday so I have to confess yesterday was my 52nd birthday... Wouldn't it be something if you were driving into Vegas and actually saw a billboard like this??? LOL....(and thank-you, Dale, for the giggles this morning!)


Didn't do a lot differently on the day (dishes, laundry, housework, paperwork) and even had my routine nausea and headache from these darn glasses~!!... But (traditionally), Paul and I watched half of "Gone With The Wind" and that was enough for me... The 70th year edition is out now and it is spectacular to view on the HDTV in BluRay... One of the first times I can honestly say I appreciate the gizmo!

It has been a LONG week with Paul being home sick for three days at the beginning of the week... He's a TERRIBLE patient (and he's the first to admit it like somehow that makes it all OK???)... And when he's home, my whole routine gets whacked out, plus there were several unexpected occurrences this week...Funny as you get older, you get even more set in your routines, huh?... So I was glad to see Friday arrive, even if it brought my OMG birthday!

======================

BTW, newest kick being used by kids to get high is to chew a plant called "Angel's Trumpet"... Don't think it grows all over the U.S. but in case you have it growing in your yard or know of a neighbor growing it, beware... This is what it looks like - it can grow in a pot or standing almost as a tree:

   














There are lots of stories of kids being severely ill and even dying - here's one in gardening forum but the LA Times has an article in their online version from yesterday as well...

(sigh)... The folly and error of youth... Death doesn't seem as real to them for some reason as it does us old folks... We try to avoid dying early and they race towards it with abandon!... Anyway, if you are growing it and aren't aware of the latest fad, now you are... 

==========================
I am yet again amazed at another celebrity's belief that they can call a press conference, issue an apology and somehow feel that 'all is forgotten'... Personally, I don't give a poop what Tiger Woods did or didn't do in him marriage - about the only one I hold accountable for marital transgressions is President Clinton while he held the highest office in our country... If you as the wife (or husband) are willing to overlook what your spouse is doing, that's on you IMHO... So many people think they won't get caught that they are willing to throw their life and reputation to the wind without much worry...

HOWEVER, it is my belief that we set a precedence when we allowed Michael Vick back into the NFL after serving time for running a dogfighting operation... What is the incentive for these VERY high paid celebrity athletes to live up to their untarnished PR images?... We buy their products, watch their commercials, provide them with a livelihood and then when they screw up big time, we say they deserve a second chance at a golden life and huge financial means again if they simply get up in front of reporters and say, "I'm sorry"... HUH?...

You and I - the 'common man or woman' would not get such a huge second chance if we had screwed up like this... I was 6 or 7 years old when I stole a pack of hair ribbons from a local store... My momma marched me back into the store and made me tell the manager what I'd done, she paid for the hair ribbons at the end but also made me throw them away once we'd gotten home... The humiliation alone burned into my brain from the day and although at the time I didn't realize all of the ramifications, its memory was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow for years... 

Growing older, I realized the harm I did to myself and others by stealing, and no amount of apologizing would undo the destruction of trust in my word and reputation... Granted, I didn't go to jail as Vick did but on the onset, he didn't confess and apologize - his apology was forced AFTER he did his jail time and he finally realized it was key to getting back into the NFL and a paycheck...

And we as the general public are idiots because we allowed an apology to whitewash the digression... Funny how differently we as a society allow inhumanity to exist when it comes down to animals, and only to a certain extent when it involves children or senior citizens... But even more so as women, we look at our lives and our spouse's digression and somehow believe a ring or expensive bauble will ease the pain of losing trust in our partner?... 

Like I said at the start, it is not my business whether or not Tiger Wood was faithful to his wife and family... That's his wife's business... What she is willing to tolerate is her own decision to make and live with... But as a member of the general public?... My business is to not support someone who so blatantly throws aside the principles our society is based upon --- trust, integrity, reputation, honesty and fidelity if you are in a committed relationship... How do you provide a role model for your children if they grow up and later realize you had sold your soul and marriage for a few expensive baubles, or that you continue to support someone in their chosen field by watching them?

I have a friend who refuses to watch any football game that Vick is playing in... To me, my friend has integrity and I respect him for it... I haven't been an avid football watcher since I moved to California and I never cared for golf, so cutting Tiger Wood and Michael Vick out of my small amount of TV watching is no big deal... However, I never stayed at nor booked another Helmsley Hotel as a travel agent after "we don't pay taxes, only little people pay taxes"... What was in my area to demonstrate my feelings, I utilized... Only when you hit someone's pocketbook with your withdrawal of support do they really understand what they did disturbs you and effects what you will (or will not) put up with... 

Well, Tiger, I'm sorry for you, your wife and your family... But an orchestrated apology just doesn't cut it for me... Vick?... I'm sure God has a special place for you that millions from the NFL won't keep you safe!

No comments: