Friday, March 19, 2010

Priceless moments

Mornin, Mornin... One of the best parts of my day is early in the morning when I sit outside in the backyard, watching the dogs do their business and enjoying my first Starbucks coffee of the day... I so enjoy hearing the traffic as it passes by in the distance - it reminds me the world is alive and 'relatively well'... ... 

 The dogs don't chase the birds --- and they know it --- so they will fly down among the dogs and get insects out of the grass... I'm not an official bird watcher, but I do enjoy watching life moving in and out around my small part of the world...

Depending on what stage of their day my other two family members are in, I'll sit there and go over in my mind what I need to get done... I seem to measure my worth and abilities by how well my grass is doing this year... I look around to see what needs to be done on the patio or outside... I'll debate with myself what is most important to be done today and what, if anything, can wait...

This is such an important part of my daily life... It seems to be how I 'tune in the channels' for whatever serenity I am going to have throughout the rest of the day... I can only guess everyone has something in their life that does the same thing whether it is the morning drive to the office, the lagging in bed, etc... And while I can easily readjust my mindset according to my schedule, I realize EVERY day when I am allowed this pleasure, that this is truly a gift and to cherish it...

Once the dogs are done what they need to do, I am privileged as they walk back, 'check in', move onto play or head off for a drink, etc... On occasion, I'll get a 'luv ya mom' lick on a leg, friendly sniff of my bathrobe... Maybe even one will jump into my lap for a few pets...

I SO enjoy watching the interaction of the pack and the respect/affection they show me as the pack leader... Each morning I am reminded that they ALL have seen the worst of the human race and came close to dying in a shelter... There are few instances in my life when I can say, "I made a difference"... Even in a small way, ya know?...

And rescued dogs have an 'attitude for gratitude'... There are some that will say this is not possible for dogs don't have human feelings... I always disagree when I hear this because love and anger are both feelings - and I've seen both in a dog... I don't think dogs do selective feelings - you either have feelings or you don't... It is that simple for me...

Just as the birds instinctively know the dogs will not chase them, these dogs know they are not going to be dumped off at a shelter either... That they have 'done their time' and are now going to have enough food, a warm blankee and lots of love...

These are the moments I cherish in my day... Priceless...

As Always,
The Lady

No comments: