Saturday, March 27, 2010

Overweight thoughts...

Mornin, Mornin... I have struggled with my weight almost my entire life... About the ONLY time I was the weight I wanted to be was during my dancing days (which ended when I got married... :(   )... Things I would want to do to exercise (sit-ups, jogging, etc.) put my back into overdrive, plus the IBS and Factor V make eating a constant challenge... Eat too much green stuff and the Factor V numbers sky-rocket, etc... Starches seem to cause me the least amount of problems (pasta, etc.) but those aren't very good to lose weight on... I love fruit, but the wrong ones and I'm in the bathroom almost immediately... 

It is like tiptoeing through a mine field each and every day - It is a daily and constant battle... 

Paul has struggled with weight his entire life as well... And while he is much more sedimentary on a daily basis than I am, his issues are really more of a scheduling and portion thingie... He fails to eat breakfast and lunch most days - so by 4-5PM, he is starving and then overeats (yes, even with a lap band)...  Paul's Achilles heel is red meat and sweets... And he can be a closet eater as well...

Sometimes I wonder how much society and lifestyle acceptance factors play into weight problems... In fact, I think about this a lot... I would prefer to eat dinner at 5PM because I go to bed around 9PM... But by the time Paul decides what he wants to eat and Desiree gets home, we're not eating dinner until 7PM most nights... And because everyone here has such different tastes, every night is a challenge to find something everyone is interested in eating!

Yep, supper is a  challenge... But it seems like it has been for quite some time!



Apparently a study has been done on art of the "Last Supper" and since this time, plates and food portions has been growing... News article... Between 23 and 69% in fact... Plate sizes grow and to fill it up and appear 'adequate' the food portions grow...

I just watched a show on 'Taboo' about obesity... It will repeat on April 10th BTW...

Part of it concentrated on Mauritania where the culture has leaned towards the deliberate 'fattening up' of females so they get married and have children... While I 'get it' in theory - much like a fatten cow appears more healthy to the eye than one underweight - I am irritated that the female species seems so 'less than' in value that weight measures someone's value as a spouse... News story about this cultural think in Mauritania...

I guess it is easier to hide all that extra weight in formless attire, but if these women had to squeeze into the apparel we do here in the U.S., I would suspect this practice of force feeding female children would stop much quicker!...

The show went onto talk about how overweight men are viewed as 'cuddly' and overweight women are 'lazy'... Boy, does society have a VERY long way to go yet, huh?

As Always,
The Lady

No comments: