Monday, August 24, 2009

RFP - 8/24/09

I read this today and it really made me think:

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe


How many of us have had dreams, but hesitated for whatever reason, and later down the road, seriously regretted our lack of decision and/or attempting to try and realize our dreams?

I have fallen on my face many times with some of my decisions in life, but I can't tell you today that I've regretted ever trying to make them come true... Most of my ideas never materialized, or weren't good ones to start out with, but if you would have told me to stop dreaming, I might as well have laid down in my coffin and died earlier than God intended it to happen...

And while I don't consider myself a success story, I certainly don't consider myself as a failure --- and having lots of dreams and ideas is really a crucial part of me, Linda, The Lady, whichever aspect of me that you know...

We take a few of the Chihuahuas and do pet therapy with them at a convalescence home... If I ever were to get ill and needed this kind of environment, this would be the place I'd go... As many times as I have been there, not once have I seen something that turns me off... The staff and volunteers have always been kind and loving towards the patients... Always...

When we arrive, it is like a combination of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all rolled up in one... The residents particularly love Frito because he's so outgoing and friendly; Nacho has been taking his cues from Frito and Nacho is also a favorite because of his lush, silky hair... For many of the residents, it is a tactile thing that I myself can relate to...

Probably 50% of the residents are no longer really functioning mentally or physically... We chit-chat and do small talk, ask them how their day is going, discuss what is for lunch, etc. and for those that want a dog on their lap to pet, some can no longer completely open up their hands, but will still rub with their closed fist... Frito has learned it is OK to accept whatever they are physically able to do (and that he gets LOTS of cookies whenever he comes with us! smile)...

Frito has series of days (weeks) when he really feels punk, so he doesn't go all the time... Last trip, I took Princess with me and she watched Frito consistently to get the lay of the land about the whole experience... I'd like to get Ginger and maybe even Scudderbutts into this program if I can (or as long as I'm fostering Scudderbutts)... Both are friendly and outgoing - Scudderbutts is a major talker and Ginger is a gorgeous longhaired Chihuahua who has a very silky coat... BeeGee's done it many times too...

Especially with the girls, the residents love their little dresses and small size... Some residents tell me every trip that they once had a dog, what size and breed it was, etc... Almost all of the residents 'connect' in some way with the dogs and although I have had a trip or two when I left feeling a bit down about my own health and mortality issues, for the most part I feel good when I leave... Glad that yet again I could do this for another human being... And hope when I get that old (or sick), someone makes a point of coming in to visit me too...

Eventually, I'd like to certify a few in the AKC CGC program, and then onto certifying them as Delta pet therapy dogs... Several times a week, I work with the few that go on a regular basis... And although I might never realize this dream of certification with any of them, it's just so nice to have a dream you believe will come true, ya know?... It gives you something to look forward to and work towards... That's the whole point of dreams and aspirations - not the realization of them but the journey along the way!

As Always,
The Lady

No comments: