Sunday, August 30, 2009

RFP - 08/30/09

Mornin, Mornin... Today is a hodge podge of thoughts, so this might be a classic 'ramblin'... (smile)... I was going through my email this morning and sometimes I just have to stop and ask myself what planet someone else is on... Take for example, this news article this morning...
Temperatures were “a little bit warmer than normal,” said Bill Hoffer, National Weather Service spokesman. (news article)

Uh, excuse me... But it was 105 degrees~!! "A bit warmer"??? What planet does the National Weather Service reside on~!!... Even the dogs have been having a difficult time breathing outside the past few days between the 100's in degrees and the smoke/ash that's been drifting out way from the fire...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
People on Planet Earth in pain, hurting and bad to no medical care ~~~ I'm really opposed to national health care - I have friends in Europe and Canada that constantly complain about not being able to get decent health care... I have a friend who saves up the entire year to bring her father here to get what I consider is normal health care~!!!... And I've seen some of the examples of national health care personally... It's inhumane, let alone decent...

Yesterday I read something from the League of American Voters that NBC and ABC are refusing to run an ad they've got going... If these media networks can run all of the other junk they do, why not this?... Maybe the LAV should have added, "But WAIT~!!... There's MORE~!!!" and the ad would have been run???
A doctor in the League of American Voters ad asks: "How can Obama's plan cover 50 million new patients without any new doctors? It can't." The 33-second ad, which features a neurosurgeon who warns that a government-run healthcare system will lead to the rationing of procedures and medicine, began airing two weeks ago on local affiliates of ABC, NBC, FOX, and CBS. On a national level, however, ABC and NBC have refused to run the spot in its present form.

You can see the ad on their website HERE... hopefully... And ya know?... When news is shifted and screened, it is no longer news IMHO...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Planet Earth - NIGHTMARES - Oh My! ~~~ This is the stuff nightmares is made of... CharliesAngelNCa sent it to me, so of course I had to browse through the website.... <>... The weirdest animals on Planet Earth...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Personal note from this Earthling... Well, I have to tell you all - 2 days of Celebrex and I can walk without a limp again... The age of modern medicine - OMG~!!... I suffered through 2 weeks of terrible pain trying to get the doctor's office to get on the same page about all of this... It's back down to about a 4-5 and that I can deal with - as long as I don't push beyond my normal, I can get through 6-8 hour days (and this I can live with!)... LOL...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question? Why is it that men push the remote control button and if it doesn't work, they push it HARDER and repeatedly?... If it didn't work the first time, why do they think it is going to work the second time???... (smile)... Ever notice this behavior?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to recommend something we've been using for a few months now - Toodled - this is the website: http://www.toodledo.com/ ... Desiree found it for me, so I can't take credit for the find... This is a good comparison of their product versus others on the market...

I was trying to locate a 'to do' list software that would work on my computer and my iPhone at the same time... My rescue partner and I were sending back and forth thousands of emails trying to stay on top of everything that needed to be done or was going on... And after a few hundred, you can't find what you're looking for~!!! GRRRRRRRRR...

There's a free version - we upgraded the annual fee so that we can load up files and share them, instead of trying to figure out who has this file on which computer or laptop... It has saved BOTH of our sanity's! Great find!!! Now if I can just find a fantastic way of getting rid of ants that doesn't hurt the dogs, it will be a GREAT day!... LOL...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last week I finally took the final step in recycling around here, and while it has been months since our family made a concentrated effort to lower our footprint and what is going into the local landfill, all three of us have now dramatically changed our habits and behaviors...

We've been recycling the glass and plastics plus the aluminum can (tabs for the Ronald McDonald House) for quite some time... Once a month, I haul them to the recycling center and actually get paid for our trash!... About $20-$40 depending on how long I've let it pile up in the three large trash containers out back... As we rinse out everything before it goes there, it doesn't have an odor either...

Initially I put a plastic tub on top of my stove and the other recycling went in there... But I was emptying it several times a day which was annoying... I moved to a larger container, but even that caused numerous trips a day...

Last week, I decided I was going to add a second trash can as much as I didn't really have the room in the kitchen... All of our friends now have two trash cans in their homes and I thought, 'why not us too?'... While at Walmart's looking at the stainless steel versions of step-ons trash cans, Desiree found a dual that has two lids and compartments, and two 'buckets' inside...

We left one for trash (that goes into the landfill) where the original kitchen trash can was, and the back part (or right) of the dual trash can is now for the recycling (non-plastic or glass bottles and aluminum cans)... So far, none of us has had that much difficulty using the new version...

But I can tell you this much - in what?... Less than 9 months, our family has lowered the volume of trash going into the landfills by more than 75%... And trust me, it hasn't been that difficult to do either... The first few weeks were a bit testy as we kept trying to second judge ourselves as to where it should go and what was recyclable...

We seldom (if ever) fill up our weekly blue collection container, and as that stuff goes directly into the landfill, this is a MAJOR contribution to keeping our community cleaner for Desiree's generation and the next few... We have three grey collection containers and those go to the recycling plant directly... Most weeks, all three are filled and it with a LOT of pride I see those grey trash cans outside on our curb...

I look at some of the neighbors and feel sad they're not doing more to protect this planet for all of the children who will one day have to deal with the bulging landfills the past few generations have left for them...

Bottom line is that if we can do it, everyone can!... And in closing, I wonder what planet others intend on living on in the future if they contribute only to the problems and never to the solutions~!!!

As Always,
The Lady

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Quote: Now if I can just find a fantastic way of getting rid of ants that doesn't hurt the dogs, it will be a GREAT day!... LOL...

Peppermint plants.Plant them or set them near your doors and they keep the ants out. BUT.. they can take over the yard so keep them cut back.

Great information on the plant and uses here:
http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/info/herbs/peppermint.asp

More...
Barriers
Sprinkle leaves and flowers from sage, mints or tansy around the outside of your house or plants that are bothered by ants. These plants can also be used as a living barrier for ant control, bearing in mind that they are invasive in their growth habit and using cuttings from these plants as a barrier is more effective. We grow tansy in an out of the way place to harvest the cuttings.

Vinegar sprays in and around the hose foundation will repel ants. Keep way from the soil and concrete. Lemon juice concentrate can also be used: mix 50/50 with water and spray.


Ants will not walk through a line of talcum powder or chalk dust. Diatomaceous earth may also be used as a barrier in and out of the household.


Using a silica areogel/pyrethrum spray applied to the base of plants like eggplants and peppers can control fire ants from girdling the stems and killing the plants. This is a good barrier as it stays "put."


Caulk all cracks and crevices in the building to deny them access. Be sure to use high quality pure silicone caulking as these are less likely to shrink or crack once applied.


Distribute cucumber parings as a repellant. Cucumbers contain a compound known as "trans-2-nonenal" that repels ants as well as cockroaches!


Try sprinkling some of those instant grits around the nests. See what happens!


For fire ants: We recommend Spinosad or try this: Pour half a cup of Epsom salts into the nest and all around it.


Sticky barriers like Tanglefoot makes an excellent barrier and can be applied to tree trunks to disrupt the ants from farming of aphids. This will naturally biodegrade itself towards the end of the season. NOTE: On young trees with smaller trunks or those with thin bark (aspens, birches etc.) do not apply directly to the bark surface. Instead use some thin fabric tied around the trunk with the sticky stuff applied over this. Remove at the end of the season.


On smaller plants a bit of petroleum jelly smeared around the base will stop ants immediately.