Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's always something!

Sunday afternoon I lost my connection to the Internet (we have broadband here)… Initially I figured high winds again… Came back a few hours later, troubleshooted it and rebooted it, got online for just a bit and then it went down again…

Found my hardwire had been crimped again when it was caught in the door to Paul’s office… Straightened that out and rebooted the system again, but this time it did not come back up…

Got up at my usual time at 2:30AM on Monday morning and spent the next 11 hours dealing with the phone company who we get our broadband through, OMG Walmart’s (and their staff person who reportedly ‘knew about these kinds of things’ – NOT), the help desk from the product he sold me and finally I went to Best Buy WITH the modem/router and got the right thing this time to get us back online…

Geezie, peezie~!!!

At one point on Monday I was so frustrated, I was just about to call Paul and tell him he needed to come home NOW and fix this problem~!!!... GRRRRRRRRR…

Unfortunately the jack from the phone company for the broadband is in his office (aka the “Black Hole of Calcutta”) and Paul makes ‘piles of unknown origins’ in his office… I’m not talking piles of things like I have, where it’s all together in one pile and is the same topic, same project, etc… I’m just talking random piles, not stacked, just crap piled together…

I followed one cord around the room, trying to troubleshoot the problem, and found it had no connection at the end – just cut off… I must have pulled his computer forward at LEAST 50 times, switching out wires to find the problem (which turned out to be the OMG Walmarts guy’s stupidity, selling a router only when what we had previously was a modem/router)…

Between having to work in Paul’s mess in his office and the idiot at OMG Walmart’s, I can’t remember when I’ve been so frustrated over something… Several times I thought to myself to just forget it and walk away… At one point in the middle of the night (with no stores open at that time), I decided to go through some of my ‘to do’ list and I’d get a few small things knocked off it, then I’d need Internet access… So I’d skip over that and go onto the next item or task… And then the problem would repeat itself – no Internet, can’t do this now…

I am really, REALLY good about working through problems – seeing things through to the end without losing my patience or getting frustrated… And I seldom ask for help from others unless I absolutely cannot do something myself on my own – even if it means I have to shove something inch by inch, eventually I will get it moved or fixed or whatever…

I finally got Paul’s computer up and back online around noon time and then headed off to get mine done… No more crimping my hard line in the future, because I went wireless… Desiree’s new laptop is already wireless but because of our setup, she’s been having to use a hard line for Internet access – no more as well… She and I are both wireless now…

As for Paul’s office?... Well, I know I left it in a worse mess than when I found it (if possible) but it doesn’t look that much different… sigh… He’ll get frustrated one day and go in there, start throwing things away left and right… And will throw away or shred things we need… Such is his way of doing things, but as long as I don’t have to deal with it or look at it, it is not my problem…

At this time of the year, most people are all wrapped up in the Christmas frenzy, but I’m the odd ball that’s trying to make sure I have all of my receipts in the tax box, nothing pending in my stuff, ready to just box it up on January 1st and be able to get on the taxes ASAP… It is a ritual of sorts for me – I pull checkbook copies on New Year’s while others are nursing their hangovers!... LOL…

And this is also the time of year for me when I reflect on things I haven’t completed, start planning on things that I want to complete and/or start the next year, etc… Sorta/kinda a cleaning out of the old and looking forward to the new, ya know?... Having the computer or it’s Internet interface going down at this time of the year is not a good thing for me!

In the end, a burnt out modem/router caused 11 hours of major grief, heartburn and irritation, but on the positive side, it removed the irritation of occasionally finding my land line kinked up in a closed door by someone else, so I guess that’s a good thing! Lemonade out of lemons, ya know?

Speaking of something ‘sour’ and switching gears here, I guess many of you have read or been made aware of Biden’s new family member addition?... Bottom line is that part of the new move to Washington was purchasing a German Shepherd Dog (or GSD) puppy, having someone else train it and then deliver it to Washington, DC on the 20th of January… With over 7,000 of these homeless and unwanted of the breed sitting in our nation’s shelters currently on death row, you’d have thought Biden would have considered the ramifications of buying a puppy mill puppy…

Apparently not…

Read more here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/12/16/112331/48?new=true

Obama made a small bit of history when he included the mention of their new addition in his acceptance speech – and made a lot of people happy when it was announced it would be a rescue and not a puppy mill purchase… I’m waiting to see how this all pans out, but I suspect one is a campaign promise and the other is just a stupid judgment error…

I don’t think people will let Biden forget about his decision however… And I’ll be REALLY curious to see the outcome of this puppy mill puppy purchase… Especially when it has now been proven this is NOT a reputable GSD breeder, but one who has been cited several times by the USDA and even lost her AKC membership because of shoddy record keeping and other factors – considering the AKC seldom terminates breeders from membership, that alone says something…

January 20th will be interesting if nothing else…

I don’t think the American public just ‘accept’ things as easily as they have been… Too many people are worried about their futures (for many different reasons, not just economical or financial)… When the economy is good, people tend to be a bit more accepting of things, but when it is not, it is a different story (or the easy acceptance factor goes into the toilet basically)…

When you have to make do with a lot less, that ‘a lot less’ becomes much more precious to you… And decisions (good, bad or a combination of the two) create action… The ‘ripple effect’ everyone talks about becomes a tidal wave and even if your life is not being greatly impacted by things, you can’t completely turn a blind eye to what is going on around you…

In our state they are currently trying to now tax vet services which previously was not taxed… Many people can’t take care of their pets needs now as it is, and the shelters are bursting at the seams… “Beverly Hills Chihuahua” is now starting to have its effect on the Chihuahua breed and come Christmas, “Marley and Me” will spur an impact on the Lab breed… As Labs don’t grow out of that ‘annoying puppy stage’ until they are three years or older, we’ll see the impact of that movie for the next few years in our shelters… If they are successful at increasing the cost of medical care for those who have pets with this vet tax, even more dogs will end up in the shelters in the next few years… And EVERYONE who pays taxes is impacted by the increase at the shelter level – whether you own a dog or cat – for your taxes pay to kill healthy dogs and cats in the shelters when they run out of room…

Of course, in our state they end up going to the rendering plants and then into fertilizer and other products… Nothing is ever lost, just transformed according to the laws of physics… Shame we can’t realize this as a society and actually do something positive instead of consistently doing more negative things… It’s a tidal wave of bad judgment calls and actions, IMHO…

I truly can understand why people are so mentally weary when they come home, not wanting to do much more than eat something and bury their head in either the TV or one of their hobbies… Anything to block out all the news of the day, trials and tribulations of just simply living, ya know?... After awhile it just all gets to you… It’s hard to just keep ‘turning your eyes to the sun so you don’t have to see the shadows in life’… Some might call it ‘denial’ while others call it ‘survival’… I try and walk between the two concepts and even on my best day, I can’t always do it…

Desiree has her last final today and this marks the 1/3rd mark of her academia life… To me the middle 1/3rd is the hardest of most things… I’m no longer starting but the end is too far away for me to see… Keeping the momentum and spirit going is the toughest… I usually mentally ‘zone out’ to get through this section of anything… I keep telling myself I can’t quit and I won’t think of how much more I still have to do to reach resolution or the end…

And tomorrow, Paul and I will pass another year of marriage… It’s our 11th wedding anniversary (and they said it wouldn’t last 6 weeks~!! LOL… so much for that hue and cry in 1997, huh?)… … To me, the 5 year marks are the ones that become the benchmarks, so the 15th should be interesting… (smile)… And if you believe in the Mayan calendar, the world is supposed to end on December 21, 2012… I guess I should be grateful our 15th wedding anniversary will be December 18, 2012?... If we make it, the sense of achievement on that benchmark should validate my ongoing desire for completing things, huh?...

Desiree has left her laundry slide for a few weeks (~!!!) and my goal for today and tomorrow is simply to get all of her laundry caught up as well as doing my own… So much for exciting anniversary plans, huh?... The dryer is once again not drying like it should, so it becomes a tedious project to get it all done… I should be grateful though… Did you all hear about the lady who reached into her washing machine to find an 8’ foot python?... I’m not kidding – it is not a hoax~!!!

Read it for yourself here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25725071/

I’ve stopped doing laundry in the middle of the night because of the creepy crawlies and the occasional mouse that will INSIST on finding its way across the garage and over my foot while doing wash…

Now I have to worry about reaching in and thinking about that snake story… I haven’t been in deep ocean water since “Jaws”… Now the washing machine and that opened lid will make me think about that story and the snake!... :::SHIVERS:::… Just what I need~!!! … YET another thing to think about as I go along with my normal routine~!!!

As Gilda would say, “It’s always something…”

As Always,
The Lady

P.S. The Press will start being published here: http://ladyisreal.blogspot.com/ in case you fall off the list somehow, you can catch up there. If you fall off the Press list, to get back on you need to send a blank email to ladyisreal2001-subscribe@topica.com

No comments: