Monday, April 19, 2010

New kicks... I like them (although I hated the price...)

Mornin, Mornin... I am probably the world's worst at believing in new marketing of products... I've been taken in SO many times by trying new products, that I have gotten REALLY gun-shy about trying new things... 

Having said that, I have been watching and reading about a new tennis shoe (Skechers Shape-Ups) for months... Not because of a fad or trend, but because several online friends told me they bought them and they saw a 'marked decrease' in pain after wearing them...
The price tag choked me - I'm the first one to admit that!... 

A few months ago, I did the tests for how I stand and walk - I walk hard on my heels and that just makes it harder on my spine... Because of the back damage, I tend to work my right knee harder and can not 'sit straight'... I tell you all of this simply as part of the 'back story' to today's Press... 

The other part is that we work adoptions every Saturday on hard concrete at the pet store... It is an 8-hour day at least for me and between walking the dogs, setting up, standing as we talk to people, etc. I usually get worn out about midway through... By the end of adoptions and on the way home, I can't think the pain is so bad... I have a high pain tolerance level (or so my doctor tells me), but when the pain gets to about an 8 or 9, I can't 'think out' past the hurt, ya know?...  Two weeks ago, I am driving home from adoptions and I am just 'that close' to tears from the pain... Not common for me, because I bull-doze through pain episodes... I realized I was actually dreading arriving home because I would have do a lot of walking until I had reached the point of actually sitting down and relaxing several hours later...

Once this thought hit me and I realized just how much I was hurting, I considered getting out of rescue all together... The more I thought about that idea, the more I realized I needed to do something different... And despite the high ticket price of the Skechers, I might have to bite the bullet and try them... 

Desiree and I made a date to go check them out on Friday night... She stayed with the Sketchers brand...
Now, I didn't buy the Skechers brand, but another (Fila) on Friday night with Desiree... Desiree liked the look, so those are the ones she got...

I got the Fila brand 'Shape-N-Tone'... Same concept (but in black, not in pink as shown here)...  Same concept, but $40 cheaper at our local store...

Some lady came up and told us she'd gotten the LA Gear brand, but same concept, for she has had knee surgery and they really worked for her...

I did cringe inwardly at the price tags at the store, but what price freedom, ya know?... If pain is stopping me (or trying to stop me) from the things I love in life, what is the true cost?...

Still suspect, I did take a back-up pair of shoes with me to adoptions on Saturday just in case the shoes didn't do what they were marketed to do... And for a change, the marketing ploy is accurate (what a concept) - You can see a video at YouTube about how the shoes work...

But basically, I immediately noticed that I tended to walk straighter and not land as hard on my heels when walking... You tend to 'roll' from heel to toe, and I also noticed that Desiree is walking differently in hers as well... She tends to walk heavy-footed almost like a duck normally... She's been complaining about back pain and her feet hurting her at the end of the day as well now that she's working full time...

I don't normally come out and support new products very frequently... But I have tell you - I really love them so far... Saturday evening I got home and although it was a long day, I could actually function without being in pain for the remainder of the night... And although I was expecting to be stiff and sore from the new muscles the shoes were causing me to use, I didn't experience this either...

Our store didn't carry a wide selection of sizes and colors, but you can order them online in a much wider selection... They do have sandals, but I tried one style on in the store and didn't think that much of it... Maybe it needs the closed shoe to work as well... Dunno...

Desiree practically went skipping to work this morning in hers... When your feet hurt, the world seems pretty overwhelming at times... So hopefully she'll come home tonight still in a GREAT mood!....

As Always,
The Lady

3 comments:

lindalos54 said...

I was looking at those in the store, and while the concept caught my interest, the price tag sent me running.

I'll have to look for the other brands and try them now. I am on my feet at my weekend job and by the time my break time comes, I can bearly move. By the end of the day, I can barely make it to the car. Heaven forbid I need to do grocery shopping or errands on the way home.

So thank you for this blog! It comes at the perfect time. I'll be looking for a pair before I work this weekend!

Blessings to you all,
Linda (the OTHER one)

Bratfink said...

New Balance walkers saved my life when I was a cashier and standing all day. Pricey, but worth it if it helps the pain!

MUST BE WALKERS, not joggers or other kinds.

PS: told my sister and she said "I can't believe a stinkin' pair of shoes made such a difference!"

LadyIsREAL said...

Yep, I'm with both of you... I just couldn't get over the price of these shoes and figured I was going to be taken yet again... I bought the Fila brand, but LA Gear has one even cheaper at $39...

There is something to be said when a product actually does what it is supposed to do... We consumers get very gunshy on high ticket prices because they commonly don't come up to the marketing that is done on them...

In this case, they do what they say they will do.