Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Every new household needs a few things we didn't use to...

Mornin, Mornin... It used to be when someone was setting up their new household, some things were pretty 'standard'... Broom, dust pan and brush, pots, pans, dishes, linens, etc... We used that old school list when we began Desiree's 'hope chest' that Mr. Bill bought for her... She's stocked to begin housekeeping on her own one day... 

But the older I get, the more I realize that old stand-by list of 'gotta haves' to set up housekeeping is severely outdated... There are just certain items that I could not operate without... LOL.... (And yes, you knew it was coming - that 'LadyLogic' ramblin...)
Take for example, zip ties... I have created more items around the house with zip ties... I have made doggie couches with the wire grids used for book cases and zip ties... They hold up pretty good in the weather too... We have a secondary fence of tomato fencing across the wrought iron fence that separates the backyard from the pool as well - and it is attached with zip ties... When the overhead covering for the patio starting coming undone (due to poor carpenter workmanship from the contractor), I was up on a ladder with the MEGA zip ties, fastening it back up again... PVC piping hanging around the patio covering framework got the zip tie 'save' as well... LOL... I use them for just about everything and now keep a cutter and set of pliers in the box of zip ties for quick repairs...

A rechargeable screw driver - every woman needs one!  I'm serious!... LOL... Desiree already started her own tool box and this is an item that needs to get in there... If I had to put chores on a list and wait for Paul to have the time to do them, it might take forever... And although this is not the brand of screwdriver I have, mine has seen me through MANY projects throughout the years...

Another thing everyone needs to start up housekeeping is the old stand-by - DUCT tape!... Not just the gray duct tape, but the clear version as well... I have fixed (and created) a wealth of items around the house with a little creativity and duct tape!


And I can't tell you how many times I have used my yellow handled box cutter... Desiree has a pink handled one in her tool box... I personally prefer the one that allows you to break off the tip and get a sharper blade right behind it (scored?)... I have a big one in the kitchen and a small one that is in my computer credenza (why do they package everything in that hard plastic any more???!!!)...


And my favorite thing to have I can't even describe, although I am sure the guys will know what I am talking about... It is screws with little caps on them and go easily into wood because of the tips... I buy them by the box in different sizes and have fixed many things...  There is something about having that screw and washer thingy together that has solved many of my problems trying to repair things (or make new ones)... For sure as God made green apples, I will pick the wrong screw out and the hole is too large and/or the screw won't work right... That washer thingy on these particular screws have saved my bacon many times!

Eons ago when I set up housekeeping, I didn't even think of these kinds of items, but not a week goes by that I don't use one of these things now... I never intended to be so handy with tools when I was Desiree's age, but then again, the more I can do and get done, the less there is for Paul to do eventually so I guess it all works out at the end of the day...

Two items I have added recently to my 'gotta haves' is a shredder and a NeatWorks scanner... I hate the amount of paper we have to store to do our taxes, run a household, etc... Somehow I feel that if I am putting the shredded clippings in a bag and then into the recycle container, I am helping just a small bit in saving this planet from total trash dumping and landfills...

I have to admit - the NeatDesk scanner was expensive... When I sat and seriously considered how to start scanning all the receipts, documents, etc. so they could eventually be shredded and not having to be stored, I debated with myself for months over this purchase... A flatbed scanner just doesn't handle the volume of a normal home if you are serious about getting rid of the huge amount of paper you have to store all the time...

I have GREAT plans for this scanner and once I get the day-to-day stuff scanned and digitally stored, I'd like to start scanning things (like knitting instructions, etc.) that I can't find when I am looking for them later... But for today and now, I have finally taught myself Quicken and the software for the NeatDesk and am digging through this year's paper... This ole brain is difficult to get moving when I have to learn so much NEW stuff... ...

For once, I have purchased something that I felt I got my money's worth and does what it is supposed to do... What a concept!

As Always,
The Lady

No comments: